Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Another Little Piece by Kate Karyus Quinn

Another Little Piece by Kate Karyus Quinn
Genre: YA Paranormal Thriller
Expected Publication: June 11, 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen
Page Count: 432
Goodreads
Amazon

The spine-tingling horror of Stephen King meets an eerie mystery worthy of Sara Shepard's Pretty Little Liars series in Kate Karyus Quinn's haunting debut.

On a cool autumn night, Annaliese Rose Gordon stumbled out of the woods and into a high school party. She was screaming. Drenched in blood. Then she vanished.

A year later, Annaliese is found wandering down a road hundreds of miles away. She doesn't know who she is. She doesn't know how she got there. She only knows one thing: She is not the real Annaliese Rose Gordon.

Now Annaliese is haunted by strange visions and broken memories. Memories of a reckless, desperate wish . . . a bloody razor . . . and the faces of other girls who disappeared. Piece by piece, Annaliese's fractured memories come together to reveal a violent, endless cycle that she will never escape—unless she can unlock the twisted secrets of her past.

So, I went into this book not knowing much about it and not knowing what to expect.  I hadn't read the synopsis, but it was that hauntingly beautiful cover that had drawn me in.

It didn't take me long to get sucked into this book.

I fell hard into the story.

Like, down the rabbit hole, but without all the floaty- down kinda sensation.

Annaliese!   Or maybe I shouldn't call you Annaliese!  Doesn't matter!  I'll admit, you scared me at times, not because of how horribly constructed you were--because you weren't--but because your story was so disturbing and you were a beautiful creature.  Her persistence to solve the mystery of her past and discover who she truly was made for such an incredible and messed up (but in a good way!)  story.   Annaliese surprised me.  She came off as this meek and confused girl, but then would pack a fierce punch every now and then.  It was fantastic!  Annaliese was an incredible and dynamic character.

And I don't get this feeling a lot, but I wanted to give Dex this huge, squishy hug.  There was just something about his lankiness and dorky, underdog complex that mad me fall in love with him.  And he wasn't just the only likable character in the book.  There were the parents of Annaliese.  They made up the epitome of distraught and loving parents.  My heart went out to both of them and never once did I bore of Annaliese's interactions with them.  Even some of the minor characters, such as Logan and some other schoolmates; they brought this book to life and set the scene for this fantastically disturbing story.

Another Little Piece's plot was something so dark and twisted, the mood of it can only be described as something inspired by Stephen King's works.  Now, don't mistake me and say that this is similar to King's works, because it is nowhere even remotely similar.  I've never read or heard of something like Another Little Piece.  Its story blows me away.  I can't stop thinking about it.  It is everywhere. 

Another Little Piece is a different story that explored the tricky dance along the line of insanity and morbidity.  It was dark, twisted, and fascinating.  I loved it.  The writing was beautiful, the characters were dimensional and relatable, the plot was unpredictable and perfect.  I loved this book.  I hope that others will enjoy it, too!  Fans of thrillers, the paranormal, and the unexplained will possibly enjoy it.

5 Splashes

1 comment:

  1. Since seeing the cover for this I've wanted to read! I know more about the story now than I did before. It doesn't sound like my normal read but I can't wait to get my hands on it! Awesome review Millie <3

    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from people, so comment away! What do you think of this post?

Designed by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.